Wednesday, 2 April 2008

Art Spot: Reflecting on the dark side...

I was up in Brisbane last week for a training course. A book shop near the hotel that I was staying in had a closing down sale on. As well as books, it also had art materials for sale. I bought some watercolour pads, brushes and tubes of paint. Good value!

Anyway, one of the evenings, I got a bit bored and decided to paint something (in acrylic paint). I decided on a 'self-portrait' (actually in reverse coz it was the image in the mirror!). Hence the title, 'reflecting on the dark side'.

Coming back to Tasmania was interesting. I thought that I might get pinged for having sharp objects in my carry-on bag (the brushes), but no. Instead I got pinged on the paint tubes. Liquids aren't they! However, after the security staff had a good look, they decided that they were ok as they were water colour and acrylic. Apparently, I would have had to give them up if they had been oil paint!

2 comments:

RHCarpenter said...

Great painting, Steve, and I'm so glad you took advantage of the sale on art materials AND didn't have to give anything up at the airport!

crocoite said...

Thanks Rhonda. I was really pleased. I don't like throwing money away!